Thursday, July 17, 2008

Comments Regarding Article

I wasn't going to add this to my blog because the crude comments to our article were just people who didn't have a clue about infertility spouting off nonsense, but decided why not just touch on it briefly. Some of you may have read through the comments on the Baltimore Sun website, but for those who haven't I'll just touch on the ones I've commented on.

"If they're leaving it in God's hands to carry the pregnancy full-term, then why did they choose to have science intervene to get pregnant in the first place? Perhaps infertile couples should get a clue and take their infertility as a sign that they weren't meant to have biological babies. Then they could pour the same amount of time, money and effort into adopting a needy kid or animal."

My Response:
I'm just in shock at the immaturity of these responses. On second thought, no I'm not. What's your thoughts on medicine in general? By your comment are you saying that those battling an illness shouldn't persue any medication? They should just let nature play it's course and deal with whatever happens? Perhaps they should accept that they weren't meant to live. Give me a break. Your post was incredibly uncalled for and uneducated.

"I understand these people's desire to have their own children - to a point. Why is having your own biological child so important? There are plenty of kids in the world, in Baltimore in particular, who need homes and need to be loved. Why not consider adopting these lovable children? Why spend thousands of dollars on procedures that have marginal success rates? I know folks are going to say I'm heartless and insensitive but this practice is just plain selfish and wasteful."

My Response:
I wouldn't say your heartless until you added the selfish and wasteful. That was heartless. Having gone through this myself I can add that yes there are a lot of children who are out there to be adopted, but there is also a lot that goes into adoption. It's not all that simple. You can't just say alright I can't have kids so I'll just adopt. It's a lengthy process and strict criteria. Also many people who go through infertility whether they are successful or not do adopt. It is more expensive to adopt in most cases than to proceed with treatments.

Other news: We went and saw my grandmother last night who is still in a rehab center recovering from her stroke. She seems to be improving. She has come a long way since I first saw her right after it happened, but she still isn't eating anything. In a way i don't blame her because some of the food there is nasty, but even stuff we bring in she only takes a couple bites. She also seems to be having problems with her short term memory. I hope and pray that she continues to improve and is able to come home at some point, but as of right now I'm not sure if that will happen. Please keep her in your prayers.

ALSO we have our first big ultrasound scheduled for August 11th at 5:30. I'm so excited and can't wait to find out if Doozer is a boy or girl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How come your wife's blog is no longer public--I'm a fellow PCOS-er who was reading it...but now it is un-accessible. :(
I don't have a google email acct which it looks like you need to sign in.
What's the dilly??
-Sarah
(sparks0807@yahoo.com)

Erin said...

Just dropping a line to say that I made my blog password protected. If you would like to be able to read it, email me your email address. emmhollar@yahoo.com.

Shauna said...

can you give your wife my email address for her blog? wagnershauna@gmail.com
thanks.shauna